The Stoke-on-Trent branch of the Socialist Party have announced Matthew Wright as their candidate in the Springfields and Trent Vale by- election.
Labour councillors in Stoke are passing on £24 million in cuts on top of last years £35.6 Million without much more than a whimper. If elected I’d be a voice in the council chamber for all those who have been affected by these cuts and want to fight back.
Matthew will be standing as a Trade Unionist & Socialist Coalition candidate on the following 5 point programme-
1. Oppose all cuts to council jobs, services, pay and conditions – we reject the claim that ‘some cuts’ are necessary to our services.
2. Reject increases in council tax, rent and service charges to compensate for government cuts.
3. Vote against the privatisation of council jobs and services, or the transfer of council services to ‘social enterprises’ or ‘arms-length’ management organisations, which are first steps to privatisation.
4. Use all the legal powers available to councils, including powers to refer local NHS decisions, initiate referenda and organise public commissions and consultations, to oppose both the cuts and government polices which centrally impose the transfer of public services to private bodies.
5. When faced with government cuts to council funding, councils should refuse to implement the cuts. We will support councils which in the first instance use their reserves and prudential borrowing powers to avoid passing them on – while arguing that the best way to mobilise the mass campaign that is necessary to defeat the cuts is to set a budget that meets the needs of the local community and demands that the government makes up the shortfall.