Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service Pancake Warning

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care when cooking their pancakes tomorrow for Shrove Tuesday.

More than half of accidental house fires are caused by accidents in the kitchen. Station Manager, Brian Griffiths said

Shrove Tuesday means fun in the kitchen for adults and children alike however the novelty and excitement of making pancakes often makes people less cautious with their cooking.

A common scenario involves families tucking into their delicious freshly made pancakes, forgetting that they have left their frying pan on the hob, burning away. If this does happen to you and the pan catches fire, switch off the heat, if it is safe to do so. Then get out, closing the door behind you and call 999.

We would urge people to check that they have turned appliances off when they have finished using them and never leave cooking unattended – stay in the kitchen until you are finished and then switch off the appliance you have used.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is launching its annual cooking campaign this month to raise awareness of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended. The campaign is supported by hard-hitting posters bearing the message ‘Look When You Cook.’

Come Dine With Me Returns To Stoke-on-Trent

The popular Channel 4 TV show Come Dine With Me, is returning to Stoke-on-Trent in early September and is currently looking for contestants to take part.

Are you a wizz in the kitchen or more likely to be a disaster, can you create a three course oatcake meal have you got the personality and the skills to win £1000?

The show format is, over the course of a week each contestant takes it in turn to host a dinner party at their home for the others. At the end of the week the host who has been given the highest scores by the other contestants wins a £1,000 cash prize.

If you are interested in talking part then please email the team on cdwm@itv.com or call 0871 244 4142.*

Don’t forget to let us know if you apply and are accepted so we can follow your progress!

*Callers from a BT landline will be charged a set up fee of 10p per call plus 10p per minute. Calls from other networks may be higher and from mobiles will cost considerably more.

Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Warn About The Dangers Of Leaving Cooking Food Unattended

Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service are warning people about the dangers of leaving cooking food unattended in the kitchen after a number of kitchen fires across the city this weekend.

Crews from Hanley and Burslem were called to Pennyfields Avenue in Longport at 6.50pm on Saturday after a man had accidentally ignited a gas canister causing a small fire in his kitchen. The occupant was boiling potatoes on the hob and fumes from the canister ignited, damaging the curtains and window frame and burning the man.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out and the occupant was treated for burns at the scene. He was taken to North Staffordshire hospital for further burns treatment but was discharged the following morning.

The Burslem firefighters went from this incident straight to another kitchen fire on St John’s Road in Biddulph to assist crews from Biddulph with an oven fire. Food had been left unattended in the oven and the occupants were alerted after the smoke alarms went off.

In the south of the city on Saturday evening, two crews from Longton were called to a kitchen fire at Stadbroke Drive in Dresden. The 96 year old occupant had left the grill on which then set alight.

He was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene while firefighter’s ventilated the property and did not require hospital treatment.

Station Manager, David Agu said, ‘We urge people not to leave food unattended whilst cooking. It is very easy to forget about food cooking so we would advise that when people are preparing food to remain in the kitchen until they are finished.’

To book a free Home Fire Risk Check call 0800 0241 999. For all other non emergency enquiries to Staffordshire Fire & Rescue call 08451 22 11 55